Transforming Our Church into a Mission Market: Rummage Sale at Birmingham First
This transformation takes organization, planning, a willing spirit, incredible flexibility, and VOLUNTEERS. Birmingham First is the spiritual home of our congregation, the hub of many ongoing programs and ministries, and a busy organization with over 100 employees. Activities, classes and the preschool come to a halt to allow the UMW Rummage Sale to take over every available space in the building for a week. It is an incredible transformation that requires a dedicated volunteer crew.
Miraculously, by Saturday, all is back in place, ready and waiting for Sunday morning worship.
Be part of this miraculous transformation. NEW and returning volunteers are needed to keep the UMW Rummage Sale running smoothly. Our sale is 65 years old.
Come join the fun October 13-18, 2019.
Help keep the funds flowing to charities which depend on Rummage Sale proceeds.
“Use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace.” 1 Peter 4:10
Help Wanted for following jobs:
- Pricer: Price items in Toys, Housewares, Home Stuff, and Sporting Goods Monday – Wednesday.
- Sales Team: Work the cashier tables Tuesday – Friday. 3-hour shifts.
- Cashiers: Use calculator. Collect money. Make change. Cashiers are Birmingham First members.
- Adders: Look up prices on the price list and call out prices to the cashier.
- Baggers: Pack/bag items. Mark items as paid.
- Department Co-Managers: Organize/oversee a department. Schedule volunteers. A few departments are looking for co-managers. There are generally 2-3 managers per department. Department Managers are church members. Linens and Sewing/Crafts departments are particularly in need of help.
- Parking Lot Crew: Wednesday night 5-8 p.m.
- Door Guards: Tuesday–Friday. Make sure items leaving the building are tagged as paid. Guide shoppers to cashier tables and authorized exits.
- Tear-Down Team: All the shelves, racks, hangers and boxes must return to storage on Friday afternoon. It is a big job and very busy from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Volunteers are needed Sunday–Friday. No experience necessary. Call Lisa Lyon at (248) 763-8056 to see how you can help. Volunteering at the Rummage Sale is a great way to meet people and get connected at First Church while helping others. Rummage Sale proceeds are donated to charities locally, nationally, and internationally