Confirmation is an opportunity for 8th-grade students to grow in their faith, knowledge, and love of God and affirm the vows made at their baptism. In the Spring, the students are invited to confirm their faith during worship. At this time, they also become a member of the United Methodist Church. Confirmation is taught by Pastor Susie Hierholzer and Pastor Rachael Dunlap.
The deadline for registering is September 27th and class begins on October 4, 2020. Confirmation Sunday will be on May 2, 2021, during the 9:30 am worship service.
To participate, students must register here by September 27, 2020.
Sundays at 7:00 PM
- Confirmation will meet weekly in person at the church during our regular youth group time. The calendar is below.
- The schedule for Sunday evenings will be Genesis Choir rehearsal (if your child participates) from 5:30-6:30 pm, followed by dinner from 6:30 -7:00 pm, and then Confirmation from 7:00-8:00 pm. Confirmands who are not in the choir are welcome to join us for dinner at 6:30 pm or for class at 7:00 pm.
- We will be following masking, social distancing, and sanitizing guidelines. Should it become necessary for the health and wellness of all, confirmation will be moved online via zoom.
- We will not be having a confirmation retreat at this time. Should guidelines allow for a retreat at some point, we may plan something for our confirmands.
- Because service is a vital part of our calling as followers of Jesus, we will provide three missional opportunities throughout the year. Students need to participate in at least 2 of these opportunities.
- Students and parents/guardians are asked to review the 2020-2021 Confirmation Covenant and sign to show their commitment to the Confirmation Journey.
- Please review your personal schedules before registering for confirmation. If a student will miss more than three classes, it is best to take confirmation another year to have the most rewarding confirmation experience.
- Please contact Pastor Susie or Pastor Rachael if you have concerns about class attendance.
CONFIRMATION CLASS DATES
October: 4, 11, 18, 25
November: 1, 8, 15, 22
December: 6, 13, 20
January: 10, 24, 31
February: 7, 28
March: 7, 14, 21
April:11, 18, 25
May: 2 Confirmation Sunday!
(Gaps in the scheduled dates accommodate school breaks and holidays)
October 11th at Birmingham First during outdoor worship and worship online in the Sanctuary and the CLC
Students will be recognized and commissioned in worship on Sunday, October 11, 2020. As a class, students will receive a blessing from the pastors as they commit to a year of growing in faith. Parents and family members are invited to attend this joyous event!
Sunday Mornings @ 9:30 a.m. Online or In-Person
Worship is an important part of the Confirmation Journey. At Birmingham First, we praise God through traditional and contemporary worship on Sunday mornings. While worship attendance is not recorded, Confirmation students are asked to worship regularly with their families. Students will be asked to attend worship at least twice a month from October through April and record their attendance by sending an email to Pastor Susie and Pastor Rachael following worship with the following information:
- Date of the service
- The part of the service they liked best
- A few sentences describing the sermon
- One thing from the sermon they will put into action in their own life
Confirmands will be guided throughout the confirmation journey to write a faith statement in order to articulate what they believe about their faith. Faith statements will be shared during worship on Confirmation Sunday.
May 2, 2021
The big day! The students are invited to confirm their faith at the traditional service in the sanctuary which begins at 9:30 a.m. Parents and extended family are invited to attend this powerful moment of faith in the life of the students! A professional photographer will be in worship to photograph the service. Parents will have access to the pictures online a few weeks after the service. (These plans are subject to change depending on the health guidelines we are experiencing at the time.)