Summer 2020 High School Mission Trip
Students currently in 9th-12th grade, along with young adults who serve as assistant group leaders, and adults who serve as group leaders, will spend a week in Central Appalachia putting their faith into action, making homes warmer, safer and drier. As we work side-by-side, we will forge strong friendships, lives will be changed, and we will learn from our neighbors in Appalachia.
- Date: July 5 at 3:55am until July 11 at 7pm, 2020; ASP Celebration worship on July 12.
- Cost: $450 (Scholarships available, $50 due at registration, $200 due in two payments.)
- Destination: Central Appalachia, specific county information released in spring
- To register for the trip, read the required reading (below), and then complete the ASP 2020 Registration and it will prompt you to pay your $50 deposit. Please do this as soon as you feel led, we will reach capacity (30 total participants, 9 of whom must be Group Leaders) pretty quick. A wait list will begin and we will expand the trip if we get enough adult volunteers.
- After registration, each participant must complete a participant covenant form to finish their registration process. A registration is not complete without the covenant form.
ASP’s Required Reading for All Participants – What must I know before going to ASP?
- Volunteer Rules, Expectations, and Regulations
- The 3-S’s: Sensitivity, Safety, & Stewardship
- Safety Manual for Volunteers
Never heard of ASP before? – Below are some suggestions for familiarizing yourself with the ASP experience.
- Visit the ASP web site.
- Read the “required reading” documents (see above).
- Watch the ASP Training Videos for group leaders. This set of 6 short videos provides a good overview of various aspects of the ASP trip. Additional videos are on the ASP’s YouTube page.
- Scan the ASP Construction Manual, the how-to guide for the types of projects encountered at ASP. If you’d rather look through a printed copy, we have them in the Student Ministry office.
- Watch instruction videos about ASP construction techniques at ASP’s YouTube page.
- Read ASP’s Frequently Asked Questions (bottom of the page).
- For all adult group leaders & young adults: Attend the adult group leader meeting held in early summer before the trip, where you can ask questions and learn about the trip from all the other adults who are going to ASP. Construction experience is helpful but not required.
- Immunizations – Up-to-date immunization for tetanus is required for all participants.
- Hepatitis A immunization is strongly recommended. Plan ahead because Hepatitis A requires two shots 6 months apart.
Important dates – Your participation in all applicable events is crucial to the success of the trip.
- March 15, 2020 @ 11am: Informational Meeting
- April 19, 2020 @ 4pm: Cultural Sensitivity & Tool Workshop
- Mid to Late June: Commissioning Sunday
- July 4, 2020: Departure meeting, 5:00pm. Drop off your gear for the trip at the church. (Note: if you cannot be there, that’s fine, but your STUFF needs to be there).
- July 5, 2020: Depart for ASP – Arrive at the church no later than 3:55am. Load the vans and depart by 4:30am.
- July 11, 2020: Return from ASP
- July 12, 2020: Tell our story in worship in the Christian Life Center.
- ASP Packing List – What you should take to ASP and what you should leave at home.
- Volunteer Statement and Registration Form – Please print this form two-sided. Complete the form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday. Signatures on the first page must be made in the presence of a notary. There will be a notary present on Commissioning Sunday.
- ASP Additional Medical Information Form – Complete this form and turn it in on Commissioning Sunday.